What information is required?
All receipts should include the amount paid, who it was paid to (payee's name or code), and the date of the transaction. Some purchases require a letter of medical necessity or prescription in order to be eligible.
How long to maintain documentation
Generally, you should hold on to receipts for at least three years so you have the necessary records in case you are audited by the IRS. In some cases, such as with an HSA, you should hold onto receipts for as long as you maintain the account. The receipts will prove withdrawals from the account were for eligible medical expenses. Remember: if you withdraw money for non-eligible expenses, you are subject to paying taxes on the withdrawal and a 20 percent penalty fee.
Managing receipts with E-Vault
Keep all your health care receipts in one place with E-Vault.
Managing your current health care receipts for future reimbursement just got easier with the E-Vault electronic document storage feature, available on www.hellofurther.com.
- It organizes your stored documents so you can easily locate them in the future – sort by date, tax year, name or amount
- Quickly see balances of unreimbursed receipts for future tax-free withdrawals
- Easily upload receipts by taking a photo with your phone at the point of purchase
- Match receipts with a previously processed expense
- Best of all, it gives you peace of mind to track your medical savings to cover health care expenses in retirement
To access E-Vault
- Sign in at www.hellofurther.com using your phone, tablet, or computer.
- From the home page, go to Claims and select E-Vault. Here you’ll see an overview on E-Vault:
- Document options to store only, submit a claim or match with a previously paid claim
- Display of recently uploaded documents
- Listing of storage categories: All, medical, dental, vision or other
- Current total of unsubmitted claims balance for future tax-free reimbursement
To upload a document
- Within E-Vault, click Choose File to browse for the document to be uploaded
- Once chosen, indicate what to do with the document – storage only, match with an existing claim or submit a claim
- Enter information to help you store and process your document
- Review and submit – it’s that easy.
Your uploaded document will then appear on your E-Vault home page.
Actions you can take on an uploaded document
Documents available for future action will have an Action drop down menu where you can submit for reimbursement or match an existing claim. Upload as many documents as you like and safely store them with your account for as long as you need them.